Go Back   South Padre Island Forum > . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM . . > South Padre Island , Port Isabel, and Laguna Vista
Register DONATE Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012,   #1
lillian
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Young Boy Killed in Wave Runner Accident

"13-year-old killed in Laguna Madre accident

April 28, 2012 7:59 PM

SOUTH PADRE ISLAND — A 13-year-old boy was killed and his 17-year-old brother injured Saturday evening when the Jet Ski-type watercraft they were on collided with a 19-foot fishing boat, according to an Island press release.
The boys and their father were not identified, but the press release said they are from Weslaco.
The two boys were on a watercraft about 500 yards out in the Laguna Madre near South Padre Island’s entertainment district when it collided with a center-console fishing boat about 5 p.m., the release said.
The 13-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene and his older brother was taken to Valley Baptist Medical Center in Brownsville, according to the release.
The father of the boys rented two watercraft and the father was on one and the boys on the other, the press release said.
The Coast Guard was at the scene and Texas Parks and Wildlife will be investigating, the release said.
“It is such a tragedy when we lose someone so young. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family during this extremely difficult time,” Police Chief Randy Smith said in the release."

Jet skis should not be allowed in this area of the Bay. There is much too much boat traffic. An accident of this type was inevitable. Very tragic. Imagine the lawsuits.
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012,   #2
Farmer
Super Poster 100+

Re: Young Boy Killed in the Laguna Madre

This is a terrible accident. I don't know how often anything like this has happened in the past, but we don't need to ban jet skis from the bay. Many questions need to be answered before any rash moves.
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012,   #3
RNixon
Super Poster 100+

This is a good operation managed by a good friend who has been in the business for years and and who is in a world of turmoil right now. The family and boat operator no doubt are also going through hell on earth.

This is a tragedic accident and it was exactly that, an accident.

Personally, my thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.
RNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012,   #4
bigtexan99
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillian View Post
Jet skis should not be allowed in this area of the Bay. There is much too much boat traffic. An accident of this type was inevitable. Very tragic. Imagine the lawsuits.

Drowning accidents on the beach are inevitable. Why don't we ban swimming in the ocean?
bigtexan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012,   #5
lillian
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Years ago, there was a study that said there was too much traffic in the bay with the various kinds of vehicles. Someone on the Bay Area Task Force should remember that.

It recommended banning the jet skis then. This is not just a rash idea on my part. It is obvious to a blind man that there is unnecessary danger in that part of the Bay.
Old 04-29-2012,   #6
LonesomeRoads
SILVER Member
Super Poster 100+

Please, place a moratorium for political comments on this topic for a while. There will be ample time later for arguments. Folks, please think.

wd
LonesomeRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012,   #7
jhockema
Super Poster 100+

Very sad. This accident happened near my home, though I was out and about at the time.

When I was a teenager, I had an accident on a PWC in the same area. I misjudged my speed and a turn, and struck a piling. Fortunately, I was thrown from the watercraft and did not have life-threatening injuries, though my knee still gives me trouble.

Nonetheless, I don't think that PWC should be banned from this area, anymore than I think that the beaches should be closed because we often have drownings.

Many outdoor sports are inherently dangerous, and the public is aware of those dangers. Some accidents cannot be avoided, but this incident is a reminder to us all that we should use more caution.
jhockema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012,   #8
lillian
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
The original post contained a political statement. Just blot out the entire post and all replies.

A study recommended that jet skis be banned from an area of the bay years ago. I would like to know how many jet ski accidents have happened in the bay? Is there a problem with jet skis? I don't know if there is or not.
I have been familiar with SPI for 6 or 7 years and I don't remember hearing of any jet ski accidents.

Political? How do you think this topic is political?

Definition of political from Merriam-Webster :

1. a : of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government b : of, relating to, or concerned with the making as distinguished from the administration of governmental policy
2. of, relating to, involving, or involved in politics and especially party politics

3 organized in governmental terms <political units>

4.involving or charged or concerned with acts against a government or a political system <political prisoners>

Is it political when citizens lobby for a stop sign or traffic light at a dangerous intersection? This is no more political than that.

I have heard responsible fishermen and boaters say there were too many different types of watercraft in the bay near shore and someday there was going to be a serious accident. Well, it seems like that day has arrived.

The location is the problem. Maybe jet skis would be fine to the far south or far north, but not in the congested part of the bay within the city limits.

Last edited by lillian : 04-30-2012 .
Old 04-30-2012,   #9
Don
Super Poster 100+

Hawaii has restrictions on where jet skis
May be operated.
Those sites are diminishing because
Environmental groups hate them.
Here's an excerpt from a pamphlet
Published by one group:

"Jet Ski engines are noisy and pollute the air and water by releasing oil and exhaust. A two-hour ride dumps about 2.5 gallons of gas and oil into the water and produces noise levels between 85 and 105 decibels."

Detrimental to marine life.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012,   #10
Beperes
Frequent Poster 50+

A speed limit is common in congested waterways. High speed turns at 50 mph, high speeds near docks, and a watercraft that has no steering when the throttle is shut down are big problems. There have been many waverunner accidents here because of all the rental cowboys. I am very sad that a young man has lost his life and the suffering that this brings to so many.
Beperes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012,   #11
IslandInvestor
Super Poster 100+

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/st...7#.T56DItnsaeA

Good Samaritan tried rescuing teen killed in SPI Jet Ski crash
by Rafael Carranza

Posted: 04.29.2012 at 9:15 PM

The sounds and images from a fatal Jet Ski crash on Saturday keep replaying inside Jose Luis Ramirez' mind.
"You ever hear when people have the Styrofoam cups upside down, and you just slam it into the table? That's what it sounded like," he recalled. "I looked back, I heard a kid yell help, somebody help my brother."
That evening, Ramirez, a Jet Ski instructor at a neighboring rental facility, was wrapping up his day when he noticed two brothers riding a jet ski, and crash into a boat in the Laguna Madre.
"I grabbed my Jet Ski,” he said. “His older brother couldn't help me out so I had to drag him on to my Jet Ski.”
“It was only, I want to say 4 to 500 yards out, so I made it back here in like 2 minutes."
But it was too late.
The 13-year-old he tried to rescue was pronounced dead on the scene.
His 17-year-brother was rushed to Valley Baptist Medical Center in Brownsville with minor injuries.
South Padre Island Police Chief Randy Smith said the boy's father witnessed the crash on board another Jet Ski.
The mother was notified moments later.
"It's just so sad when these events happen like this," he lamented. “As you would imagine they're taking it very hard."
Texas Parks and Wildlife game wardens said the Jet Ski both teens were riding was rented out to an adult.
They are looking into how it ended up in the teens' hands.
"I tried to save his life, I really did,” Ramirez concluded. “So much people can do at such short notice."
As an instructor, the crash reminds him the most important lesson is safety first.
Texas Parks and Wildlife investigators said they will not release the 13-year-old's identity, but added that his 17 year old brother was released from the hospital a few hours after the crash.
Under Texas law, anyone born after September 1, 1993 is required to take a boat safety course before operating any motorized watercraft.
Investigators said that was not the case with the two teens.
Since it is a violation of the law, they added that the adults the rented jet skis were signed out could be cited, but it is unclear if they will pursue it.
IslandInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012,   #12
SPI FF
Frequent Poster 50+
No Avatar

I think Rob and Will have have summed it up. Please be considerate when posting.
SPI FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012,   #13
Birder66
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Were there some post deleted? Because I certainly don't see anything offensive or inconsiderate in the posts I have read. It was a very sad accident that will have ramifications on many lives - so people are not supposed to discuss if there should be changes? Why is that?

----------------------------------
From the Moderator- The author deleted their own post. However I did not deem it to be offensive. J
Birder66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012,   #14
Don
Super Poster 100+

Re: Young Boy Killed in Wave Runner Accident

Consider the analogy:

Dangerous intersection.
Someone killed.
Concerned citizens ask for stop sign or traffic light.

There is nothing that can be done
About the unfortunate death.
But, what CAN be done is to make things safer.
So it does not happen again.
Just like with a dangerous intersection.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012,   #15
Pangolin
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPI FF View Post
I think Rob and Will have have summed it up. Please be considerate when posting.
Thank you good sir.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote