Go Back   South Padre Island Forum > . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM . . > South Padre Island , Port Isabel, and Laguna Vista
Register DONATE Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012,   #1
JasonYetter
GOLD Member
Super Poster 100+

Spring Break Crime Spree

My house on the bay was burglarized on Saturday night between midnight and 3 am. And twice, our street was trashed with cans, bottles and fast food wrappers. On Friday night, a bayside house on Caroline Street was entered thru an unlocked second floor balcony door.

Was there other criminal activity?
Attached Images

JasonYetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012,   #2
IslandInvestor
Super Poster 100+

Re: Spring Break Crime Spree

That's very disturbing. Obviously the island is overloaded during Spring Break, and the cops are very busy taking care of drunks. It may be that the crooks are taking advantage of that. Properties on quiet dead-end streets are probably especially vulnerable.

Here are some crime statistics from recent years, in case you're interested:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...and-Texas.html

It looks like we average roughly about 100 burglaries a year, which seems high to me, especially for a generally peaceful little island like this. But, we are connected to the mainland via that convenient causeway. Now I'm wondering if crime will increase if they build another causeway "getaway". The biggest contributor to crime around here however is most definitely Spring Break.
IslandInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012,   #3
Birder66
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Actually I think that when you have so many properties that sit empty most of the year that 100 burglaries sounds rather low, I would have thought it would be higher.

Second floor entry is rather scary - guess I'd better be checking my doors better.
Birder66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012,   #4
bigtexan99
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonYetter View Post
My house on the bay was burgularized on Saturday night between midnight and 3 am. My street was trashed twice with cans, bottles and fast food wrappers. On Friday night, a bayside house on Caroline Street was entered thru an unlocked second floor balcony door.

Was there other criminal activity?
Sorry to hear that.

Were you home? Did they enter your house?
bigtexan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012,   #5
Betty
Frequent Poster 50+

Week before Texas, 2 side mirrors on Suburban were taken. On Texas weekend both our cars were broken into by having the passenger windows shattered. So much for condo security and car alarms. The not so good condo security cameras show a human body form around 6AM on the day of the window break in.
Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012,   #6
bigtexan99
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Care to share any more details Jason? I don't know if "Burglarized" means they stole a lawn chair from your patio or something more serious.
bigtexan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012,   #7
Doglover
Super Poster 100+

Having talked to Jason and to the owner of the other house mentioned, there were lap tops, cell phones, other electronics taken but in both of these cases the owners were in the house asleep - now that is really frightening!
Doglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012,   #8
Pangolin
Super Poster 100+

Oleander street saw some burglary too, although no B&E. If you didn't lock a car or door, they seemed to get something. We lost a few rap CDs out of the daughter's car and a very expensive wetsuit used for wind board sailing was stolen off a drying rack by the house's garage door. We didn't have near the trash on our street but there were condoms everywhere - which I think is a toxic problem when it comes to walking my dogs.

The town sort of promised to stop a bunch of this, but I think they were so busy with other business they didn't have time to patrol the bayside residential streets. Chief Randy even mentioned putting a halt to "condos" of youngsters who camped out on the quiet side streets, which usually happen between bar closing and dawn.

Somebody else noted the last of police presence on the bayside streets, and some rather bold B&E, so I suggested that the town hire neighborhood security. The condos, rental companies, and hotels all do it. For 13 bucks an hour you can get a private company to send over an officer - slightly more for an off-duty cop with the TCLOSE certification and a gun for self defense. Hey ... we pay the taxes, why not get the service?

I heard some reports that the side streets in Zone B also had such theft and mayhem. I don't know much other than Facebook and stuff ... I refused to leave the house after sundown!
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012,   #9
bobfresh12
Occasional Poster: 10-24

Perhaps there is no low-standards ghetto in America that has nicer homes, property values and a more beautiful beach than SPI. What the taxpayers/property owners allow on SPI is totally perplexing. You get nothing for your taxes, unbearable noise and garbage from non-residents, and now more crime. A lot of the good people who cared and wanted to change the place just finally got fed up and moved away. Like me. It's such a shame. I look forward to the day it all changes and I can move back to a place that's nice, quiet and crime free. An oasis, as it should be.
bobfresh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012,   #10
Yellow House
1st Post- Welcome!
No Avatar

Jason. You should consider getting a dog. we are always forewarned about any activity outside our house.
Yellow House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012,   #11
selmamason
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

From todays police arrest blotter for SPI I see that pretty much all of the criminals involved in the stabbing have been arrested.
If these individuals are aggresively prosecuted and all their comadres activities are connected, it will send a clear signal to all gangs not to mess with SPI?
On the other hand if even a single one of them gets away, it will be open season for crminals come next spring break.
Selma
selmamason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012,   #12
SouthPadreLive
SILVER Member
Super Poster 100+

A dog and a gun and we would have cured this with one shot
SouthPadreLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012,   #13
lance
Super Poster 100+

You got it, SPI Live. We have to defend ourselves because the PDs are unable to do so today.
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012,   #14
SouthPadreLive
SILVER Member
Super Poster 100+

Would anyone have the stats comparing crime from spring break TX week to Holy week?

especially interested in DWI arrests.
SouthPadreLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012,   #15
rw1146
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Living in the boonies in south central Michigan I thought all I had to worry about are the Michigan Militia. They "might" be more timid than your problem, other than the day that I heard over 200 gun shots, in less than two minutes, called the police, who had no clue what was going on.
The point is, this is nation wide.
rw1146 is offline   Reply With Quote