Go Back   South Padre Island Forum > . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM . . > South Padre Island , Port Isabel, and Laguna Vista
Register DONATE Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011,   #1
imanagespi
Super Poster 100+

Sober Living Homes on South Padre?

Would you welcome a sober living home in to you condo association or next door to your home on SPI? Recently, the powers that be have met to discuss zoning (and commerce) for 90 day drug and alcohol treatment centers. There are already sober living homes on island and at a condo associations. We wonder how people would welcome them at their association? Below is a link asking what are sober living homes. http://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is...n&sp=1&sc=1-19 You can choose the web page.

There are many if you google them. Most condo decs do not allow a business venture out of your condo, However, some do not consider this a business venture. The sober living homes can charge upwards of $8000.00 a month or more. Needless to say someone is making a fortune, but at what expense. Here is the list of possible qualifications for someone to move next door to you in a sober living home. This after their 90 day treatment.

Specific Populations Served

Persons with Dual Diagnosis (CO) mental health issues , bi polar

Persons with HIV/AIDS (HV)

Gay and Lesbian (GL)
Men (MN)

DUI/DWI Offenders (DU)

Criminal Justice Clients (CJ)

I am sure if you are in the know how of this business , you may have already been asked to not make it an issue. Sorry, but I would rather not eat crow, sugar coat my findings or stay silent. I believe the town should have final say in this. If anyone cares to translate this in Monterrey,,,feel free. I wonder how they would feel about this issue too.
So there you have it. You are now informed about our newest Island endeavor. Please feel free to comment on any pros and cons. I think this is an important issue that few know about. I know there is a famous facility on the island already, but the question is when the patient leaves the facility, how do you feel about sober living here on Island at your association or next door?

Last edited by imanagespi : 09-18-2011 . Reason: text
imanagespi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011,   #2
Farmer
Super Poster 100+

Re: Sober Living Homes on South Padre?

What are the current rules of zoning?
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011,   #3
bigtexan99
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanagespi View Post
Specific Populations Served

Persons with Dual Diagnosis (CO) mental health issues , bi polar

Persons with HIV/AIDS (HV)

Gay and Lesbian (GL)
Men (MN)

DUI/DWI Offenders (DU)

Criminal Justice Clients (CJ)
How is that any different than the current crop of island residents? I believe we are fully represented in that demographic.

Given the choice (which we don't get) of living next to an Island drunk who has no plans of changing their habits or living next to someone trying to get off the sauce I would probably lean towards the one trying to clean up.

Your line of thought on this is not much different from the islanders who don't want the valley 'day trippers' parking on their streets.
bigtexan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011,   #4
islandprincess
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
How is that any different than the current crop of island residents? I believe we are fully represented in that demographic.

Given the choice (which we don't get) of living next to an Island drunk who has no plans of changing their habits or living next to someone trying to get off the sauce I would probably lean towards the one trying to clean up.

Your line of thought on this is not much different from the islanders who don't want the valley 'day trippers' parking on their streets.
This was a most EXCELLENT answer and hilarious! Thank you. It is so true.
islandprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011,   #5
IslandInvestor
Super Poster 100+

I don't know much about substance abuse rehabilitation, but I know what I see on the beach in the morning (down the street from that rehab clinic) is rather moving. There are usually a couple dozen people, mostly young, sitting on their beach mats, quietly watching the sun rise, deep in meditation. There is a mature guy with a white beard quietly standing there, apparently in some kind of passive supervisory role. It's an interesting thing to observe, if you're ever up that early and care to take a stroll on the beach. I don't feel the least bit threatened by it all; on the contrary it makes me feel good to see the island being used for such a noble purpose. Anybody who walks the beach at sunrise knows well how it heals the soul. I suspect the inherent healing abilities of the beach helps explain why a lot of us are here.

Again, I'm no expert on rehabilitation, and I'm sensitive to the fact that some of these patients are deeply troubled. I have no idea if sometimes these patients get out of control, or in some way present a danger to island residents. Ask somebody in the police department if you're really curious, I suppose. I'm willing to bet, however, that rehab patients are generally better behaved than the average spring breaker. On the other hand rehab patients probably contribute relatively little to the island economy, but I certainly wouldn't want to discriminate based on that. After all, any small contribution that they do make to the local economy is likely a year round contribution - and we definitely need a lot more of that!

Perhaps if Amy Winehouse had "rehabbed" on south padre she would still be alive, winning more grammys, like her smash hit "Rehab":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUmZp8pR1uc&ob=av2n

Any way you look at it, this island IS great for the soul. Here is an hilarious SPI Spring Break video, with the Hare Krishna gang going out and trying to save some very drunk souls, and in the very last segment it looks like they may have actually succeeded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMbOFSmi0U

Believe it or not, this whole island already is somewhat of a rehab retreat. That's why so many tourists visit, and why I love it so much.
IslandInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011,   #6
Pangolin
Super Poster 100+

It's mainly about some very heavy, serious drug use. Betty Ford started a famous kind of clinic after she admitted she got addicted to barbiturates after some back problems. Rush Limbaugh has a run in with hillybilly heroin there for a while, hydrocodone pills. You don't need the cop shop talk about crack and PCP and heroin and bath salts (a bad one). While many drug users do drink, that was the least of their problems. Hard drugs kill.

Let me tell you about a success story even though it has a sad ending. Stevie Ray Vaughn was addicted to several grams of coke a day on top of copious amounts of reefer and whiskey - I saw him dump two grams into a cup of whiskey, swirl it around, and drink it and from what I hear he did that several times a night. His nose and teeth were becoming rotten from trying to snort it so he started swallowing it. His brother, Jimmy, took him under his wing somewhere and "Little Stevie" got all straightened out like a man again. Not sure if it was or which clinic because it was hush-hush but the boy sure cleaned up. You can see it in the eyes.

I guess you know the rest of the story, on his first concert series after being sober, the helicopter he was in accidentally hit a mountain and all perished. But darn it, that boy cleaned up good and he had a wonderful future ahead of him. I always wanted to thank Jimmy Vaughn for saving that boy's life once, but never had the chance. R.I.P Stevie Ray Vaughn.
-sam
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011,   #7
Birder66
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

I'd rather have a sober living home next door than the loud, drunken, partying short term renters I usually get.
Birder66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011,   #8
Joni
SILVER Member
Super Poster 100+

Origins does contribute to the local economy. I have visited with their management and they believe in supporting and being a part of the community.

I believe they utilize our local service providers and I know they do take advantage of some business to business buying opportunities.

Their management has used Paragraphs as a vendor and they also bring these young men to the store occasionally. Families visit and they stay at hotels, eat meals, and shop.

So, in many ways this business contributes to the local economy on a broader level than some of our other highly-prized events.

I don't quite know what is behind the introduction of this thread but I for one think Origins is a good corporate citizen and a valuable member if our community.
Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011,   #9
sandyfeet
Super Poster 100+

I will echo Joni's assessment. My house is not far from their facility and I have taught many of the residents there how to build sandcastles -- an activity most of them really seemed to enjoy. Origins Recovery is an excellent neighbor and an asset to the community.
sandyfeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011,   #10
imanagespi
Super Poster 100+

The question is not about Origins...it is about sober living homes in your condo association. If you have a condo please answer the question. I know the locals would allow a water tower full of beer that they could drive by and refill their stripes cups with.

My question is to the condo or townhome owner. Would you allow sober living patients aka halfway house from drug and alcohol treatment to live in your condominium building. It puts wear and tear on building, uses up any extra parking, allows short term with drug and alcohol dependency 2 to 6 people per room. People with mental issues and drug/alcohol issues etc...I don't care if they make hand puppets all day on the beach with you. The issue is should they be allowed in to resorts and vacation properties where kids are given freedom to enjoy pool beach etc... in a gated closed community. If a buyer heard this was allowed the property value would drop I assume. Would renters go to a different building perhaps. (that might be a benefit) Really if i get another liberal sales pitch from someone profiting off of someone elses misery i'll hack.

Ok origins is here to stay but the sober houses which are after treatment (living at house with other patients) , in my opinion should at the very least get permission from the HOA before sneaking in the building. I know the owners of padre Grand, Los Corrales,Park Shore, Sapphire wouldn't allow it even if it wasn't in the by laws. They would vote in as a rule No business in condos. (it is business too, they charge upwards of 700 week in some places).
Please ,,,no more "it's ok to be an alcoholic and seek help"...I get it already!

Last edited by imanagespi : 09-21-2011 . Reason: arghhh
Old 09-21-2011,   #11
jhockema
Super Poster 100+

The drug and alcohol angle may be salacious, but it also obscures the point that associations can control what goes on at their property, whether it is short term rentals, parking, parties by the pool or the operation of commercial ventures. The homeowners associations are the proper bodies to enforce these restrictions, not the town. Zoning is a very blunt instrument that can end up impairing the use of people's property without actually addressing this type of issue very well.

Since drug and alcohol addiction can be classified as a disability, there is also a fair housing issue if the city acts to specifically restrict the residency of persons in recovery.

No short term rentals of any kind are allowed in my building. The owners are all residents or frequent visitors. However, there are buildings on the island where the owners are mostly absentee, and they expect to be able to rent their units out. That is their right, and it is fine with me.

As a couple of side notes, what is gay and lesbian, or even HIV positive, doing in the same list as criminals or DUI? I don't see the connection, or how there is any similarity.

Also, the phrase "translate to Monterrey" doesn't sound very nice.
jhockema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011,   #12
imanagespi
Super Poster 100+

You were doing good until you opened up a can of side notes that really insulted me personally. Thanks

What I meant( for the super sensitive always looking for self serving bais angle crowd) was anyone talking to the owners in Monterrey should pass the word. I would translate this in Spanish but I would butcher the context as a spanish translation,,,lo siento. perhaps I will notify all my owners with a proper translation of what has transpired but I can hardly get to everyone on the island. If you misunderstood my meaning. You should know I didn't mean anything racial or "not nice" by it. A large portion of my business and most businesses on the island are from Monterrey. My Grandparents are from Mexico y soy Mexicano en mi corazon. I know many of the residents that have homes on the island and are from Monterrey and have worked in a helping capacity for years. I just want them to be aware that "sober living" might be coming to their association.

In reference to the HIV AIDS and gay references. That is a list from a treatment center (nearby) of patients and the "classifications" of patients that they treat. Not my words. below is how the care is classified with the (code). At the bottom of text is a link to one of many centers. They classify it this way in Texas and many other states.

Hope this helps you realize I am not discriminating any gender, race, disability or health situation. Just letting people, like you, know that this could be a possibility in your association soon, if rules are not enforced or passed to prevent it. Your association probably has a no business out of units rule that prevents people from running a business out of the condo. I believe that one should stop temporary housing on such an enterprise from operating out of your building.

However, this is not the case if they deny it is a business and merely housing for persons with disabilities. They make money and supposedly when they go to treatment and are released they are not disabled and sober. Your reference to alcoholism and drugs as a disability link below is the classifications of drug and alcohol treatment centers.

But anyway thanks for the lesson in equal rights Hockema. Always appreciate your candor.

http://www.4sobriety.com/directory/d...-carolina.html

afterthought, Article 10 can be read both ways in a court of law and has been challenged and is being challenged daily. It all stems on the word Illegal. Why do we give housing rights to someone who insists on doing an illegal drug.

Persons who are recovering from substance abuse are also considered to have a

disability under the FHAA, but persons engaged in current illegal use of or addiction to

controlled substances are not protected by the FHAA.
Type of Care /Hospital Inpatient (HI)
Specific Programs/Groups OfferedAdolescents (AD),Persons with Dual Diagnosis (CO),Persons with HIV/AIDS (HV),Gay and Lesbian (GL),Pregnant/Postpartum Women(PW),Criminal Justice Clients (CJ)
Forms of Payment AcceptedSelf Payment (SF),Medicaid (MD),State Financed - Other than Medicaid (SI),Private Health Insurance (PI),Military Insurance - V.A./TRICARE (MI)

Last edited by imanagespi : 09-21-2011 . Reason: nunya
Old 09-21-2011,   #13
Birder66
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

It appears obvious from the posts that most people do not have a problem in general with a sober living home on South Padre Island in their condo or next door. So it appears that your call to arms (or outrage) isn't going anywhere.

I agree with jhockema that if you do have a problem the association rules are the way to go.
Birder66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011,   #14
imanagespi
Super Poster 100+

I agree that the condo rules should resolve whether or not the sober living residents are welcome. Hardly a call to arms birder66. Just writing in a forum about a subject that many owners object to. The results of this forum certainly have not reflected the bulk of the owners. Hockema is the only one who has answered from a condo owners point of view and I am sure if asked directly, he would not want a sober living in his building. His association has rules that prevent that from happening. Outrage is a correct assumption if an owner decides to rent to these treatment centers without first asking their neighbor. (in this case the association). I am not against treatment but will side with the association every time. I believe when you pay upwards of $300,000 for a second home or investment, you should be able to decide who rents and who doesn't. period! Decs and by laws are too often ignored. It is those associations that suffer and see property values diminish.
thanks for the input.
Old 09-21-2011,   #15
IslandInvestor
Super Poster 100+

I don't manage condos, but from what I hear some of these HOAs are having financial trouble due to foreclosures, non-payment of dues, and owners that simply won't vote for any increases in dues, no matter how urgent the need. I really don't know the extent of the problem, but that's what I hear. If there is any truth to those rumors, then some of these HOAs should be happy to have some reliable income from property owners backed by rehab businesses.

As far as the desirability of having drug rehab patients living next door, which would you rather have, rehab patients or spring breakers? Pick your favorite. At least the rehab patients are supervised, and provide the island with some much needed business in the off season.

Are rehab patients living in a condo really considered a commercial business? That's debatable. If I'm a travel agent and decide to cram eight college kids in every 2 bedroom condo for spring break, then is that also considered a commercial business? I don't see much difference. If your condo association allows short time rentals, then it really opens you up to most any renter with money in their pocket.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not enthusiastic about the possibility of rehab patients living next door. I doubt if they would live in the beachfront condos anyway, as the inner island condos are much more economical for basic lodging. To me the best neighbor is one that isn't there in the first place, as I don't appreciate noise, and there aren't enough parking spaces around anyway. I don't consider myself anti-social, but again I like peace & quiet, and security. That said, given the choice, I would still prefer living next to rehab patients than spring breakers.

I also don't see anything wrong with condo managers discussing the rehab matter with owners at their next scheduled HOA meetings. I don't see how you can legally distinguish between spring breakers and rehab patients, but if the association doesn't want short term rentals, then let them have it anyway they want. The way I see it, allowing short term rentals raises HOA maintenance fees, but it also makes property more marketable for owners that need rental income. (especially useful in this down economy)

Here is another question to ponder: If you want to get the island economy moving again, would you rather open up the island to rehab clinics, or gambling casinos? Keep in mind I'm talking about rehab clinics catering to mostly mostly substance abuse patients, not criminal lunatic asylums, or places for people with permanent mental problems like One Flew Over the Cooko's Nest.

IslandInvestor is offline   Reply With Quote