Go Back   South Padre Island Forum > . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM . . > South Padre Island , Port Isabel, and Laguna Vista
Register DONATE Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010,   #1
newislander
Seldom Poster: 5-9
No Avatar

platform/cluster of lights on gulfside

I'm fairly new to the island and i've been noticing a cluster of lights of what appears to be a platform or well(?) or a barge out in the gulf. Is this an oil platform (well)? There seems to be a few out there in the horizon that you can see with a good pair of binoculars. I know some of them are barges and probably just moving freight, etc. I'm fairly new to this forum and I apologize if this topic has already been addressed. Obviously with the current BP situation out in the Gulf, it doesn't take much to imagine the devastating consequences to our beautiful island if we have any accidents at any of these platforms/wells within our proximity.

thank you in advance for your comments.
newislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010,   #2
RNixon
Super Poster 100+

Re: platform/cluster of lights on gulfside

There is a natural gas platform 11 miles off of the island that is visible from the north jetties on a clear day. Great spear fishing there by the way.
RNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010,   #3
Swells
Super Poster 100+

Robs is right, there are three gas platforms you can see and right now there is a large dredge barge and a fuel tanker ship in the anchorage area. All have marker lights on them and the barges and ships can be quite lit up at night. If you take an offshore trip on a charter or a "snapper boat" you can see them much closer in detail. -sam
Swells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010,   #4
beachgirl
1st Post- Welcome!
No Avatar

2 oil platforms sitting offshore for a week

Many times when I've been here, I've seen the oil platforms being moved into or out of the port, but this year I've been here since Dec 20, and those two platforms haven't budged. Is there anyplace to confirm whether they are "in transit"?
beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010,   #5
beachaccess6
2nd Post- Thanks!
No Avatar

We are here on the island this week at Padre South Hotel and looking straight out towards the Gulf, there are 2 new platforms that we have never seen before. We were last here in April, 2010, and platforms were NOT there. Does anyone know if these are oil drilling platforms or gas ones? Very disappointing to look out across the gorgeous Gulf waters to see these. Have seen barges going back and forth, too.
beachaccess6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010,   #6
Coyote Sam
Super Poster 100+

There are two jack-up rigs parked out there in the Federal Anchorage. They're not drilling to my knowledge.
Coyote Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010,   #7
Sooner Al
Super Poster 100+

Re: 2 oil platforms sitting offshore for a week

I'm guessing, and you know what that usually gets you, they are eventually going up into the Port of Brownsville for repair or scrapping. For repair more that likely they will be at the Keppel AmFELS yard.

http://www.keppelom.com/en/content.aspx?sid=2689

As you know the Port of Brownsville also has a very large ship breaking/scrapping operation.
Sooner Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010,   #8
Coyote Sam
Super Poster 100+

That could very well be, Sooner-Al. But also consider that because of the slowness in federal inshore drilling permits, many rigs have been idled and moved to various ports or anchorages such as ours - "cold iron" they call it. Amfels also does a big trade in fixing them up and sending them over to places such as Brazil, although that is more commonly the larger ones capable of drilling in 500 feet of water - several were completed this summer and fall. Those bigguns were quite taller and wider and had a helicopter landing pad on them.
Old 12-29-2010,   #9
Sooner Al
Super Poster 100+

Your correct...

They in fact maybe waiting for either modification at Keppel AmFELS or storage. I sure would like to know when they are coming into port, if in fact they are, so I could run down to the ship channel to take pictures. FWIW here is a rig up in the turning basin a few years ago. I want to say its a screw jack type rig but the nomenclature maybe wrong. Old age perhaps...
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2010,   #10
Archie
Super Poster 100+

It may be disappointing but if we have to drill off our coast for the oil that this country uses like water, then you may have to get used to it. This is no longer a situation that we impose on other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachaccess6 View Post
We are here on the island this week at Padre South Hotel and looking straight out towards the Gulf, there are 2 new platforms that we have never seen before. We were last here in April, 2010, and platforms were NOT there. Does anyone know if these are oil drilling platforms or gas ones? Very disappointing to look out across the gorgeous Gulf waters to see these. Have seen barges going back and forth, too.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010,   #11
Sooner Al
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie View Post
It may be disappointing but if we have to drill off our coast for the oil that this country uses like water, then you may have to get used to it. This is no longer a situation that we impose on other countries.
Don't forget possible wind farms off the coast...
Old 12-29-2010,   #12
Coyote Sam
Super Poster 100+

To clarify, there is very little crude oil around here, since it is about 90 to 95 percent natural gas with the remainder being condensate (natural gas liquids, "white gas") and crude. The oil is over in the shale formation way inland from here, and way offshore perhaps 50 to 120 miles. To repeat, there is very little crude oil near South Padre Island.

The largest and deepest oil production rig is called "Perdido" and is about 100 miles east of here in over 5,000 feet of water; it's drilling has been stopped by Presidential decree and I'm not sure if they are even producing anything.

The Texas General Land Office has already leased some land north of town to Mansfield Cut for the purposes of a wind farm, although that's still in the feasibility stage and the lease has 5 years (maybe 4 remaining) to do something. Now that the tax credit for wind energy has been approved by Congress and signed into law, they might proceed but who knows? Permitting those kinds of facilities takes forever and you have your folks who hate it because they think that wind turbines chop of birds like a proverbial salad shooter.