Go Back   South Padre Island Forum > . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM . . > South Padre Island , Port Isabel, and Laguna Vista
Register DONATE Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2010,   #1
Beachomatic
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Fresh shrimp?

Since BA seafoods closed it's gotten hard to find consistently good shrimp. Anybody have suggestions?
Beachomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010,   #2
rico
Frequent Poster 50+

Re: Fresh shrimp?

Quick Stop in Port Isabel. Same owners.
rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010,   #3
PIResident
Super Poster 100+

And for Freshly Frozen, no chemicals, straight off the boat,
I also go to the Shrimp Outlet before Amfels.
Look for the yellow billboard on the RIGHt
when you need to turn left.
PIResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010,   #4
Coyote Sam
Super Poster 100+

Joe's over near the lighthouse, Dirty Al's, Blue Marlin (believe it or not), Quick Stop, and sometimes at the Farmer's Market. Supposedly there's another good place closer to the shrimp docks in Port Isabel but I haven't found that. The one by Amfels is good if you have a reason to go to B-Town.
Coyote Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010,   #5
Beachomatic
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Been thinking of the outlet by AMFELS... Blue Marlin has been good for shrimp the last few times. Will check out Dirty Al's. Seafood market just north of old pelican station had some shrimp but haven't tried yet. There's a place off South Shore Drive that has frozen only. Looked ok, probably about same as the outlet. Would prefer never frozen but if that's what it takes, then w/e. Have been going to QS since BA quit and most times it was good but recently getting soapy chemical taste - from what I can find, it's Trisodium Phosphate. Doesn't make me ill but ruins a good ceviche or scampi Texture and taste on some really showed age -not good. Had to return 2 lbs of mediums about a month ago for exchange.

If you want to see something weird, leave some shrimp shells out on a plate after you peel them. Let them dry out mostly and then look at them in a dark room. They glow pale blue in the dark. At least mine did. Must be the stuff that makes the plankton glow, getting into their shells.
Beachomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010,   #6
Coyote Sam
Super Poster 100+

Just about all shrimp has been frozen twice, once on the boat and once after heading and sorting at the processor. There's no "unfrozen" shrimp except bay shrimp, which I find less savory-sweet than the ones in the Gulf, sometimes way too much iodine taste.

Drop in on ole Captain Roy and he can tell you all about shrimp much more than I can, and where that soapy taste might come from.
Coyote Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010,   #7
ckhhuff
Super Poster 100+

There is a guy in Los Fresnos near Millers Market that sells fresh, never frozen, large gulf shrimp. Been tempted to buy some but never have. They look pretty good. HEB has decent shrimp but kinda small for the grill.
ckhhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010,   #8
Russ2064
Frequent Poster 50+
No Avatar

The Shrimp Outlet at the Port of Brownsville Is the best I've found. They have their own boats so the Shrimp is about as fresh as you can get, and the prices are fair. They always have a good selection of sizes.
Russ2064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010,   #9
Tacos
Super Poster 100+

Captain Jasper's-at the docks somewhere in PI
Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote