Go Back   South Padre Island Forum > . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM . . > South Padre Island , Port Isabel, and Laguna Vista
Register DONATE Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010,   #1
9toes
Frequent Poster 50+

Dewey Cashwell lands on his feet

Dewey Cashwell, Jr. named as new Bristol Virginia City Manager
9toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010,   #2
lance
Super Poster 100+

Re: Dewey Cashwell lands on his feet

Have you ever been to Bristol, Virginia? My father in law has a mountain vacation home not too far from there.

Coal mining and tobacco growing region of poor, uneducated citizens.

Bristol, Virginia is a town of 17,000 that is now $110 million in debt. 46% of the population earns under $25,000 and the unemployment rate is 68% higher than the Virginia average. Only a small percentage of the populace has any college education and the rate without even a high school diploma is 50% higher than the Virginia average.

Dismal place. "Deliverance" might have been filmed there.
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010,   #3
Wannebebayfisher
GOLD Member
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance View Post
Have you ever been to Bristol, Virginia? My father in law has a mountain vacation home not too far from there.

Bristol, Virginia is a town of 17,000 that is now $110 million in debt. 46% of the population earns under $25,000 and the unemployment rate is 68% higher than the Virginia average. Only a small percentage of the populace has any college education and the rate without even a high school diploma is 50% higher than the Virginia average.

The guy is a 61 year old white male, not the most desirable hire by statistical measures, he's lucky to get a job in this environment. He's probably very grateful to find employment.

All that aside, I find it interesting that anyone would want a vacation home in close proximity to the above described area. Sounds as if folks still drink from the crik, after bathing there.
Wannebebayfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010,   #4
jhockema
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance View Post

Before you throw any stones, let me point out that according to Wikipedia (and, yes, that source can sometimes be suspect), the Bristol City has a city library (we don't), two network TV affiliates, a college with 1,000 students, and a city-owned utility that provides electricity, water, sewer, cable, internet and phone. Through the utility, the entire city is wired with fiber to the homeowner's premises. We have not been able to install Wi-fi.

You or I might not want to live there, but I hate to see someone tearing a place down just because it is small or out of the way.
jhockema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010,   #5
lance
Super Poster 100+

I've been there; I doubt that you have. It is an armpit, but 30 miles makes a big difference in the East. The Blue Ridge Mountains are awesome.

Please don't make yourself look stupid by comparing it to SPI, which is the MOST backward place in the country.

The fact that EVEN Bristol, VA has amenities that SPI does not says it all.
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010,   #6
Southpadrebums
Super Poster 100+

Southpadrebums is offline   Reply With Quote