Go Back   South Padre Island Forum > . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM . . > South Padre Island , Port Isabel, and Laguna Vista
Register DONATE Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2009,   #1
Pangolin
Super Poster 100+

I want to get crabs

So far as I can tell, very few places sell crab down here on SPI and if so, it it likely to be lump crab, which I detest, or King Crab, which I find rather tasteless and rubbery. Daddy's used to serve Snow crabs, which I loved as being so sweet, but no more (and the softshell po-boy was not-so-good). I am truly surprised that our local restaurants don't offer boiled or steamed Blue crab or the West Coast Snow or Dungeness. Really, I want the large local Blue, and I can eat a dozen of them easy.

One nice lady I met said she came down here and put out three crab traps and caught a few dozen large Blue Crabs, which she boiled up in her condo. She was so happy about it! I was jealous as could be.

If anyone knows where they have decent crab, please let me know. Thanks!
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009,   #2
RNixon
Super Poster 100+

Re: I want to get crabs

Go get a crab trap from Academy put some dead fish in it and wait two days!

Fresh Blue Crab for you and your closest friends. (Watch out those guys can take off a chunk of skin! Grab them from behind.

There is not any really good "prepared crab" on the island that I am aware of.
RNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009,   #3
chezron
Frequent Poster 50+

At one time La Jaiba served blue crab I think, but that was a few years ago. Haven't been back there in some time.
chezron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009,   #4
Frogg
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Crab On The Island that I have tried

-Blackbeards has a stuffed soft shell crab

-Daddy's has snow legs by the pound

-Louie's serves Snow Crab legs

-The Sea Ranch serves King Crab Legs

-Amberjacks will run King Crab as A Special From time to time

-There is a small place in PI down the street from Manuel's past the Cantu's that has some of the best Blue Crab I have tried in the area if you don't mind the casual rustic setting.
Frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009,   #5
Tacos
Super Poster 100+

Come on out to the West Coast during the winter for Dungeness, Sam! Dungeness, sourdough and chardonnay is a SF tradition during the holidays. I am pretty sure the season is over and any Dungeness would be frozen. IMHO, it loses a lot when frozen. King Crab can be good frozen, but a lot of times it is very salty-not sure where that occurs in the handling process. This was not a good season for Dungeness, and King Salmon fishing has been hurting for the last 2 years. Hopefully that is not a long term trend caused by Man. There is some good deep red King Salmon from Alaska still to be had though. Copper River is the best. I refuse to eat farm raised salmon or shrimp. The best West Coast fish on the market right now is Alaskan Halibut.

Do you know of any place to go crabbing near the island? My folks and I used to vacation in Maine and, after going to a local fish market and getting free fish heads as mentioned by Rob, do some crabbing. Tie the fish head to the end of a line, throw it out and swoop up the stupid crabs with a long net. My late Mom said she used to go crabbing for blue crab in the early part of last century around Port Isabel. I think Rob has it right. You have to do it yourself. There is not much local commercial production of crab from what I have seen. Fortunately, it is a pretty low tech, low cost operation and kids love it. I can attest to that from childhood experiences.
Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009,   #6
Tacos
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogg View Post
There is a small place in PI down the street from Manuel's past the Cantu's that has some of the best Blue Crab I have tried in the area if you don't mind the casual rustic setting.
How do they prepare it? The best way, IMHO formed from spending a few years in DC, is a steamed bushel with Old Bay and dumped out on newspaper over picnic table with an unlimited supply of draft beer. Rustic is good for eating large numbers of Blue Crab in the shell.
Tacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009,   #7
RNixon
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
How do they prepare it? The best way, IMHO formed from spending a few years in DC, is a steamed bushel with Old Bay and dumped out on newspaper over picnic table with an unlimited supply of draft beer. Rustic is good for eating large numbers of Blue Crab in the shell.
That's how I've always done it!
Old 05-14-2009,   #8
trini
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezron View Post
At one time La Jaiba served blue crab I think, but that was a few years ago. Haven't been back there in some time.
Is this a part of a chain? There's a La Jaiba on Market Square in San Antonio that is probably the worst restaurant in San Antonio I have visited. Seafood needs to be absolutely fresh, theirs is not and the place is always nearly empty despite its prime location with major pedestrian traffic. Hopefully this is a totally unrelated business.
trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009,   #9
trini
Super Poster 100+
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
The best way, IMHO formed from spending a few years in DC, is a steamed bushel with Old Bay and dumped out on newspaper over picnic table with an unlimited supply of draft beer. Rustic is good for eating large numbers of Blue Crab in the shell.
Try this sometimes. If you want to double it, the skillet part is best done in two batches. It is easy and absolutely delicious:

- 6 blue crabs
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup chopped parsley leaves

In a large pot with a basket, cook the crabs in boiling water making sure they are fully covered. Add the Old Bay seasoning and salt to taste. Cook the crabs until they are red, approximately 10 minutes, and then let crabs cool to the touch. Crack crabs and remove the lungs, leaving the roe in and claws attached. Crack the crab in 2 sections down the middle. In a deep skillet, melt the butter and add the garlic and parsley. Bathe the crabs in the butter mixture and then place on a platter. Pour remaining butter from skillet onto the crabs before serving.
trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009,   #10
Seashell
Super Poster 100+

Snodgrass over on 48 sells blue crab.

Thomas you are so right - bushel of blue crab with Old Bay and beer. Oh to live in Delaware again where you bought them by the bushel not by the pound.
HEB in Brownsville will get them in for you if you ask.

Someone said to go down to the local fishing boats and they sell them but have not tried it yet.
Seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009,   #11
chezron
Frequent Poster 50+

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini View Post
Is this a part of a chain? There's a La Jaiba on Market Square in San Antonio that is probably the worst restaurant in San Antonio I have visited. Seafood needs to be absolutely fresh, theirs is not and the place is always nearly empty despite its prime location with major pedestrian traffic. Hopefully this is a totally unrelated business.
Nope, this is an independent. The restaurant is on Padre Boulevard, just south of Cunningham's law office. It's been there for years. Friends of ours love their frog legs!
chezron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009,   #12
Spilulu
Frequent Poster 50+

Just had a lovely lunch at The Palms. I did not try it, however, they have blue crab on the menu as an appetizer.
Spilulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009,   #13
RNixon
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogg View Post
Crab On The Island that I have tried

-Louie's serves Snow Crab legs
I did forget that Louie's does have the all you can eat snow crab legs and they are pretty good fresh out of the kitchen!
Old 05-14-2009,   #14
Pangolin
Super Poster 100+

Thanks for the tip on Louie's, since Daddy's took snow crabs off them menu. And don't get me started on "bushels of blue crabs," because I grew up on the East Coast and used to trap them myself. And we'd get cherrystone clams too (best with wine and butter steamed). For those of you who have never had Sartin's East Texas BBQ style crabs, these are absolutely delish:

http://www.bluecrab.info/bbqcrabs.html
Old 05-21-2009,   #15
Pangolin
Super Poster 100+

Hey I'm on hiatus but it turns out that Blackbeard's does NOT have snow crab, although they do have lump bluecrab for a few dishes - not the same as eating real crab yourself. I'm talking about whole crabs or at least whole crab legs here, and not those rubbery-schlubbery King Crabs.

Still striking out here, any ideas?