Go Back   South Padre Island Forum > . . WELCOME TO THE FORUM . . > South Padre Island , Port Isabel, and Laguna Vista
Register DONATE Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008,   #1
Wrichardson
Super Poster 100+

Community Center

Please review the proposal for a, "NEW COMMUNITY CENTER." With all due respect it is, "NOT A COMMUNITY CENTER." It is an adjunct, "CITY STAFF BUILDING, with space for, "Club Padre." At least 2/3 to 3/4 of the building is to house Staff, Fire, Police and a new gym for Staff. Staff currently has offices in the 7million dollar new city Hall, Staff also, currently has a Gym."

The community as a whole, could not use the facility unless it fit into the schedule of Club Padre.

Please, let's call a spade a spade.

Bill Richardson
Wrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008,   #2
NMarsden
Super Poster 100+

Re: Community Center

Why isn't it going to be a community center? Will the city be receiving rent from Club Padre? Is the Reading Room going to be located there? Would someone in the know please provide more information about the new use of this city building.
NMarsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008,   #3
Swells
Super Poster 100+

I'm certainly not privy to any information, but have heard there are (1) structural issues with the old town hall and (2) lots of competition such as from the fire department and such for more office/work space.

On the structural part, the old town hall was laid out in three sections with trusses going different ways, meaning that the load-bearing walls could not be taken out ... without bulldozing down the whole mess. That part appears to be true.

So I don't think there are any final plans at this time, and it's work-in-progress about what they intend to do. I think the BOA made their intentions known that at least some "community" aspect be included in the future use of the building. -sam
Swells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008,   #4
Doglover
Super Poster 100+

As I remember one of the justifications used by the town for the financial support given to Club Padre was that the BOA often used their facility for meetings when the Convention Center was booked.

What is the justification given these days?

How is this community use? Club Padre is a "club", one must join.

How about a real community center with real community events? Even events and classes for kids.

I like the idea of buying the Island Baptist Church property much better. Property that size could have many events - even performances. The grounds could be used for events as well.

Stephanie
Doglover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008,   #5
gran
GOLD Member
Super Poster 100+

dog lover you are so right i just would hope if they are doing a bond issue they bite the bullet and try for the lot next door too.....that is alot but it adds so much to the church property for bigger events and parking
gran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008,   #6
Wrichardson
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swells View Post
I'm certainly not privy to any information, but have heard there are (1) structural issues with the old town hall and (2) lots of competition such as from the fire department and such for more office/work space.

On the structural part, the old town hall was laid out in three sections with trusses going different ways, meaning that the load-bearing walls could not be taken out ... without bulldozing down the whole mess. That part appears to be true.

So I don't think there are any final plans at this time, and it's work-in-progress about what they intend to do. I think the BOA made their intentions known that at least some "community" aspect be included in the future use of the building. -sam
Sam:

With all due respect, I believe your post misses a couple points. First, a community center has been promised for at least two, maybe three years. Second, 150K has been in the budget for two or three years Third there are always conpeting interest for space.

The latest plan introduced at the last BOA meeting is simply a plan for converting the old City Hall into another Staff building, with some space for Club Padre. Club Padre is a very fine organization however; it is a private organization who's membership is made up of both residents and non residents, taxpayers and non taxpayers. As Stephanie points out a community center is primarly, where residents and businessmen associate an interact for the improvement of the community, holding events of interest to the community.

To spend funds set aside for a community center, to remodel the old city hall for use primarly by staff, is simply wrong. Please share your opinions with the BOA.

Bill Richardson
Old 09-08-2008,   #7
spiguy
Frequent Poster 50+

does club padre have a website.
spiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008,   #8
Margie
Frequent Poster 50+

In response to Nancy's question (and thanks for asking!) I have seen the new plans VERY briefly. There is space for the Reading Room and it will be somewhat bigger than our current space. This is a good thing as I will soon be receiving my childrens books and also I will be ordering 25 large print books which I need space for.

I also know that the planners did have to work with the load-bearing walls as is, and they have tried to plan to accommodate each group promised space in the building. Dewey Cashwell was to present the plan to the Aldermen at last week's meeting.

I'm afraid that's the extent of my knowledge at this point.

Margie
Margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008,   #9
Swells
Super Poster 100+

I don't know about a website for Club Padre, sir.

Bill, what do you think about the idea of buying the church property and using it for a community center? As a taxpayer I think it would be a wonderful opportunity, and a "real" place that the community can use for meetings, plays, classes, and all kinds of things. It might take a while, as I don't think the new church has been constructed yet. But that would be all "ours," and we'd kick out all the city staff except maybe for a janitor and a volunteer to help run the bookings and keep an eye on the place. It seems like the old town hall has so many functions and town uses that it would never become a real community center. I want something we can be proud of - and I love the church concept as well!
sam
Swells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008,   #10
Margie
Frequent Poster 50+

I Googled Club Padre and found the following. See the last paragraph:
http://www.spichamber.com/visitorguide/wintertexans.php

Margie
Margie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008,   #11
SouthPadreLive
SILVER Member
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiguy View Post
does club padre have a website.

Domain Status: Deleted And Available Again

They could it's available again

JW
SouthPadreLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008,   #12
Bubbles
Seldom Poster: 5-9

Nancy,

Club Padre has for a very long time received funding from the city.

I don't believe Club Padre could afford to pay the city rent.
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008,   #13
Wrichardson
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swells View Post
I don't know about a website for Club Padre, sir.

Bill, what do you think about the idea of buying the church property and using it for a community center? As a taxpayer I think it would be a wonderful opportunity, and a "real" place that the community can use for meetings, plays, classes, and all kinds of things. It might take a while, as I don't think the new church has been constructed yet. But that would be all "ours," and we'd kick out all the city staff except maybe for a janitor and a volunteer to help run the bookings and keep an eye on the place. It seems like the old town hall has so many functions and town uses that it would never become a real community center. I want something we can be proud of - and I love the church concept as well!
sam
Sam:

I support the purchase of the Church property. I think the property has a lot of potential to serve all stakeholders in the community. I only hope that there is a plan for how to develop and utilize the property for the best interest of all who live or own a business on SPI.

Bill Richardson
Old 09-09-2008,   #14
mustlovespi
Super Poster 100+

"Club Padre has for a very long time received funding from the city. I don't believe Club Padre could afford to pay the city rent."

How was this club established? Why is it funded by the town? Is it a private organization? I would think so, since there is a $50.00 per person annual membership fee, or $12 if you join month to month. This club does not allow non-members to use their facility unless they are a member or a guest of a member - and only a few times a year, at that. It also does not allow members to have private events (birthdays, anniversaries, etc) unless each guest is sponsored by a member.

I am unclear why - at whatever level - does the town subsidize this club. I understand that until the town built the new municipal complex, the town sublet their facility for meetings. But what I don't understand why this private club ranks status over other organizations by being allowed space in the new "community center" - in my view, as a private/membership based club, allowing Club Padre space (at whatever price) flies in the face of what a true community center is supposed to be. Will Club Padre pay rent to the town? At what rate? Comparable to what the town paid them for using their facility? I am unclear on the relationship between Club Padre and the town of SPI and would appreciate an explanation, BASED ON FACT, from somebody "in the know."
mustlovespi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008,   #15
Wrichardson
Super Poster 100+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustlovespi View Post
"Club Padre has for a very long time received funding from the city. I don't believe Club Padre could afford to pay the city rent."

How was this club established? Why is it funded by the town? Is it a private organization? I would think so, since there is a $50.00 per person annual membership fee, or $12 if you join month to month. This club does not allow non-members to use their facility unless they are a member or a guest of a member - and only a few times a year, at that. It also does not allow members to have private events (birthdays, anniversaries, etc) unless each guest is sponsored by a member.

I am unclear why - at whatever level - does the town subsidize this club. I understand that until the town built the new municipal complex, the town sublet their facility for meetings. But what I don't understand why this private club ranks status over other organizations by being allowed space in the new "community center" - in my view, as a private/membership based club, allowing Club Padre space (at whatever price) flies in the face of what a true community center is supposed to be. Will Club Padre pay rent to the town? At what rate? Comparable to what the town paid them for using their facility? I am unclear on the relationship between Club Padre and the town of SPI and would appreciate an explanation, BASED ON FACT, from somebody "in the know."
Mustlovespi:

Good questions. The current budget for 2008/2009 has $29,400 budgeted for, Club Padre.

Bill Richardson